Bolton Wanderers' Fabrice Muamba was discharged from hospital today, after suffering a cardiac arrest last month.
Thousands of people have shown support for the midfielder after he collapsed on the pitch during an FA Cup tie against Tottenham on March 17.
The 23-year-old’s heart stopped beating for nearly 78 minutes.
Muamba said: "I am naturally very pleased to be discharged from hospital and would like to take this opportunity to pay tribute to every single member of staff at The London Chest Hospital who have played a part in my care.
"Their dedication, professionalism and expertise is simply amazing and I will forever be in their debt. I also wish to say thank you to all the many well-wishers who have sent thousands of messages of support.
Muamba, who is pictured with Dr Andrew Deaner and Dr Sam Mohiddin of the Barts Health NHS Trust on his discharge, added:"Now I am out of hospital, I am looking forward to continuing my recovery and spending precious time with my family."
A spokesman for Barts Health NHS Trust said: "Barts Health can confirm that Fabrice Muamba has now been discharged following several weeks of treatment. All our staff wish him the very best in his ongoing recovery."
Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle said: "It is absolutely fantastic news that Fabrice has been discharged from hospital and everyone at the club is delighted.
"We would also like to add our thanks to the staff at The London Chest Hospital for their care and treatment of Fabrice, which has been outstanding.
"It is important that Fabrice and his family are now given time and space to be together, and we would ask the media to continue to respect their privacy."