By Steven Oldham, Sports Correspondent
Amir Khan’s promoters say the World Boxing Association have granted the Bolton boxer a rematch against Lamont Peterson following his controversial title loss last month.
Richard Schaefer says he holds a letter from the WBA ordering an ‘immediate rematch’ for the light-welterweight belt.
Khan lost both his WBA and IBF titles to Peterson in Washington DC in December on a split points decision.
He then used Twitter to raise concerns and provide photographic evidence of a mystery man – now known as Mustafa Ameen - allegedly interfering with match official Michael Welsh.
A hearing has been called for this Wednesday by the IBF for Ameen to explain his actions. Ameen is not an IBF employee, but does take part in their Outreach programme.
The three man IBF panel then have up to ten days to deliberate the evidence and pass judgement on a rematch or any other consequences.
Even though the WBA have supposedly sanctioned the match, it may not happen if Peterson does not agree – although he will have to forfeit his WBA belt if he does so.
Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions – that represents Khan - told ESPN:
"I'm thrilled that he's getting [the rematch] and hope we can start the negotiations and get the fight done.”
“Amir and Lamont are both terrific young men and athletes who fought their hearts out in Washington in December and I'm sure this decision will get applause by fight fans around the world.”
There has been no official announcement by the WBA, or from the IBF – who would have to agree to a rematch for their belt.
Khan’s business manager Asif Vali is adamant however that they want a rematch for both belts.
He said: “If the WBA are offering a rematch then the IBF should do it as well."
Khan unified the WBA and IBF belts by beating Zab Judah by knockout in Las Vegas last July.