A gas explosion at the Manchester Food and Drink Festival injured three people last night.
No one was seriously injured but three members of staff from the Chilli Coco Street Food Stall were taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 8.45pm after reports of an explosion with three fire crews tackling the blaze.
The festival in Albert Square was evacuated by police and a cordon remained in place till 10.00pm.
A spokesman for the festival said: “Three members of staff from the stall have been taken to hospital suffering from burns, all three were walking and talking but clearly in shock.
“The site was quickly and safely evacuated and no members of the public were injured.”
The explosion is thought to have originated from three propane cylinders used for cooking.
Celebrity chef Andrew Nutter was taking part in a quiz at the festival said: “We heard an explosion from one of the tents and then we could hear more bangs and explosions.
“Everyone was running out, there was smoke everywhere and the smell of burning.
“It was crazy, we just ran, I’ve never seen anything like it.
“You could see people had been burnt.”
Fire services and the event organisers have both confirmed that a full investigation will take place.
The Manchester Food and Drink Festival runs from 7 – 12 October and is expected to re-open at lunch time today.